Cedar Rapids is a city in Linn County, Iowa. Cedar Rapids, which had a population of 120,758 as of the 2000 census, is currently the second most populous city in the state of Iowa, after Des Moines. Cedar Rapids is part of a combined urban area with Iowa City, which lies just to the South. The area was a whole is generally referred to, by locals, as the “Corridor”, and the combined population of the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City corridor is 360,326.
Here is some more information about the area:
- Some of the major companies headquartered in Cedar Rapids include McLeodUSA and Rockwell Collins.
- The main airport serving Cedar Rapids is The Eastern Iowa Airport.
- The main professional sports team in Cedar Rapids is the baseball team, the Cedar Rapids Kernels.
- Cedar Rapids is only one of a handful of cities in the world with its municipal buildings located on island in the river. In the case of Cedar Rapids, city hall and the county courthouse are located on Mays Island, an island in the middle of the Cedar River.
- Cedar Rapids is sometimes known as the “City of Five Seasons” – these are supposed to be the traditional four seasons as well as fifth season as a time to enjoy the other four. This nickname is commemorated by a sculpture in the downtown area (known as the “Five Seasons” sculpture), as well as in various local jokes such as the “city of five smells”, referring to the smells from factories around the city.
- According to the manufacturers’ information, the fictional character, WindChill (a GI Joe action-figure toy) is supposedly from Cedar Rapids.
About the Author
By S. Tanna. First published at http://www.vacation2usa.com/p1_state_iowa_cities_cedar_rapids.php – Visit this link for more details, pictures, attractions, towns and cities and more!
Discover all 50 states at http://www.vacation2usa.com